What to Expect
Mountain View is a community that
- Makes the worship of God central to all that we do.
- Nurtures all in people in Christian fellowship and community.
- Encourages the witness of faith to be shared with others.
- Reaches out to meet the needs of others.
- Challenges each person to be faithful in our prayers, presence, gifts, service and witness.
- Grows each person in faith through Scripture, Reason, Tradition and Experience.
United Methodists profess the historic Christian faith in the triune God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. We believe God came incarnate in Jesus Christ for our salvation and is ever at work in human history in the Holy Spirit. Living in a covenant of grace under the Lordship of Jesus Christ, we participate in the first fruits of God’s coming reign and pray in hope for its full realization on earth as in heaven.
Our heritage in doctrine and our present theological task focus upon a renewed grasp of the sovereignty of God and of God’s love in Christ amid the continuing crises of human existence. Our forbearers in the faith reaffirmed the ancient message as found in the apostolic witness even as they applied it anew in their own circumstances. Their preaching and teaching were grounded in Scripture, informed by Christian tradition, enlivened in experience, and tested by reason. Their labors inspire and inform our attempts to convey the saving gospel to our world with its needs and aspirations.
We share the Christian belief that God’s redemptive love is realized in human life by the activity of the Holy Spirit, both in personal experience and in the community of believers. This community is the church, which the Spirit has brought into existence for the healing of the nations. Through faith in Jesus Christ we are forgiven, reconciled to God, and transformed as people of the new covenant.
We believe in the Great Commission of Jesus Christ detailed in Matthew 28:18-20. Then Jesus came to them and said, “all authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
STUDY – Growth In Discipleship
Growth in Discipleship is a personal, ongoing journey to become all that God intends a person to be. Discipleship is based on the following principles..
- A disciple is a student! The Scriptures are our study manual
- A disciple is assured of salvation by grace alone.
- A disciple learns and comes to understand the principles of the Christian life.
- A disciple obeys God’s laws and commands as presented in the Scriptures.
- Disciples represent God in the world.
- Disciples serve other people.
If you would like to embark on a journey toward Discipleship, Mountain View is here to help, at your pace and in your own time.